We celebrate World Heart Day today on 29 September 2020. This is the world’s biggest awareness-raising platform for cardiovascular disease (CVD) which is accountable for nearly half of all non-communicable disease deaths in humans.
Did you know that heart conditions affect our pets too? Within our group of practices, we have cardiology specialists available who investigate all aspects of heart disease.
In the first instance, if you have concerns that your pet has symptoms, please contact your vet for an examination. Here are some of the signs to look out for…
- Stopping or slowing on walks
- Difficulty breathing or not being able to catch their breath
- Not settling down to sleep at night
- Coughing, especially during or after exercise or if they’re excited
- A bloated stomach (caused by fluid build-up).
If you find your pet is showing any of the above symptoms, please make sure you speak to your vet straight away. Unfortunately, heart disease cannot be cured, however, it can be managed. Contact us if you are concerned.